This beautifully produced and illustrated literature review from the National
Children’s Bureau focuses
on free play from birth to 7 years.
The review contains the following chapters:
1. Perspectives on play gives an historical and modern perspective on
understanding and policy
relating to children’s play.
2. Play, exploration and brain development draws on a range of perspectives,
relationship between play, exploration and brain development, and shows the
these aspects of development.
3. Play, development and learning focuses on emotional, social, intellectual and
4. Play-related themes discusses a range of issues that permeate understanding
5. Role of the adult focuses on the complex role that adults play in supporting
6. Discussion highlights the main findings in the literature, the issues they
bring to light, and poses
some questions for reflection.
Read and download it here.